Vocalist.org archive

From:  Melanie <mkkuolt@s...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  5:34 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Audition experience

During a concert performance of "Habanera" (with me singing Carmen and a
full choir to back me up!) the pianist SKIPPED an entire system of music!!
To make matters worse, despite the fact that the conductor and page turner
were trying to point and help him out, he managed to play the whole first
verse one system off!! He said that he never heard the problem.... That
certainly was a challenge of ear training.....and I'll never work with that
pianist again. I'm not angry that he skipped a system--- I'm angry that he
wasn't paying attention--- to the point of not hearing how terribly off it
was AND not watching the conductor!!

Melanie
Melanie Kuolt
mezzo-soprano
Madison, WI

><< How do you deal with the problem of your
> accompanist blowing it right in the middle of a piece? >>
>
>Oh God. This happens to me all the time with "Glitter and be Gay." Once I
>even had an accompanist STOP PLAYING! I just kept going like he was still
>playing. I think the auditioners were impressed by my professionalism and
>coolness in a situation that could have casued a singer meltdown.
>
>Zerbie

emusic.com