Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Fri Feb 15, 2002  5:54 pm
Subject:  RE: Healthy belting..Mezzoid's post

When I couldn't produce whatever it
was he was looking for, he told me "You're obviously not in touch with
your
emotions. I think you should sit down."

Geez… (I feel like swearing but that wouldn’t be polite)…

It is true that connection to emotions .. GUT emotions is a way to find
the muscle coordination for good healthy belting.. but it can be taught
technically too… it’s difficult.. but I do teach it…, but I only could
teach it once I figured out how to do it myself…

The high mix that a poster a few back is describing isn’t what you were
doing in the workshop, probably… and knocking the key down of a song to
try to help the person “find” that mix ..is something I do too (I also
use The Rose a LOT to help people find a good belt/chest sound).. it’s
hard to describe in writing. To me the high belt …it feels like whining
(with no neck tension) but it doesn’t sound like whining and it’s feels
really easy.. but finding the coordination for that easy feeling is
difficult.. and it’s not the same has a very forward head voice sound,
either…

Clinicians and judges seem to be so lazy sometimes… and because they
don’t know how to break things down they say mean/dismissive things to
the participants… I just hate that. I loved that article about Hampton
who worked so intensely and effectively with the young classical
singers… now THAT is commitment to finding whatever way it takes to help
the participant.. not just “you’re obviously not connecting with your
emotions…”… … argh!

At the contest my daughter sang in last weekend.. one of the judges (not
my daughter’s judge) told one of my soprano students who sang part of
her song with her head slightly tilted… “you ought to wear a heavy
earring on the other side to balance that head tension!” and the judge
was SERIOUS…

Argh!

Deanna Reitan

Edgewood Voice Studio

---

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17562 Re: Healthy belting..Mezzoid's postdrama_diva_au   Sat  2/16/2002

emusic.com