Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SlightlyoffBroadway" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  4:32 pm
Subject:  More pop-style Broadway

I agree with something Randy said:
> This does not mean she is belting. The problem with many legit
> teachers is that they have a true prejudice against the female chest
voice,
> don't know how to handle it and seek to eliminate it from the student's
> singing under the misguided guise that it is healthier. There is no data
> support such claims.

Students should have a good facility in their entire vocal range (from chest
to face to head). Singing in a chest voice can be done to "match" the rest
of the range or it can be "belted" which I feel is NOT the correct approach
to use with children but to avoid the chest voice is to avoid working the
entire range.

A great song for technique is "The Lonely Goatherd" from the Sound of Music.
All those jumping octaves and quick words make for a great vocalize.
Jacqueline
jaxsobcon@n...
Visit our website at:
http://www.slightlyoffbroadway.com
Read Jacqueline's musical theatre articles at:
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre
and
http://www.musicaltheatreinfo.com

Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway

"There's no business like show business"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17524 Re: More pop-style BroadwayDiane M. Clark   Thu  2/14/2002

emusic.com