Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  6:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Pop-style Broadway

In a message dated 2/14/2002 11:56:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mezzoid@a... writes:

> But I think whatever rep a student is doing, it should be based on a good
> foundation of controlling the exhalation, and clear and relaxed production.
>
> I associate those principles with classical training or legit musical
> theater. I don't associate them with the pop-style broadway rep that the
> original poster asked about nor with rock music.

how the voice works is seperate from what you choose to do with it.
my big problem with miller, vennard and others is that they fail to make this
distinction. most non classical/'legit' singers run into trouble because
they have to work it out on their own. a lot of them have gone to a voice
teachers. usually these teachers are classical 'only' types who plan on
making these poor singers go through 500 years of music history before they
get to sing what they came there for in the first place. the ones who
realize that isn't going to work are left to their own devices.

a voice works according to certain principles whether that voice ever
sings a note or not. no style of music is required to learn those
principles.

mike

emusic.com