Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  4:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Pop-style Broadway

In a message dated 02/14/2002 8:05:50 AM Central Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

<< so chistine, are you saying that classical singers should sing r&b as
part of their education, as well? or, are you saying that r&b singers
should start off with classical and classical singers should start off with
r& b? >>

Possibly! I think exposure to everything is a good thing. I personally
sound ridiculous singing real pop music - I remember sitting at the piano in
HS playing thru Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" and thinking, "I sound... stupid!!!"
and I hadn't even HAD any lessons and had no idea I was going to be a
classical singer!

But I think whatever rep a student is doing, it should be based on a good
foundation of controlling the exhalation, and clear and relaxed production.
I associate those principles with classical training or legit musical
theater. I don't associate them with the pop-style broadway rep that the
original poster asked about nor with rock music. Especially not in the early
stages of training. If a singer knows how to produce a comfortable, healthy
sound, he or she will know when a sound is coming out that isn't comfortable
and healthy and be able to adjust to make sure that whatever sound is coming
out is one that will not be ultimately damaging.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17508 Re: Pop-style Broadway and re: beltingVicki Bryant   Thu  2/14/2002

emusic.com