Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  4:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: classical and then belting

...also, if you are pulling your chest, or belting at b above
middle C, I'd watch out. A good clue of whether or not your are actually
mixing there or pulling chest is to see what happens at the d-e above
that......if they lose a lot of "ping" as you say.......you know that
something is out of balance.

I was told by my first teacher who was really focused on musical theater that
anything above an A (above middle C) should be in head voice...she actually end
up making me use head tone for anything above an F (above middle C) she HATED
belting and said she could barely stand to hear the local civic theater group
musicals because if the chest tone singing, she was VERY anti chest tone...when
I first came to her it was all I had and she was really bothered by it. She
often said that the people who did local musical theater always complained of
being hoarse and having sore throats after a night of belting and that it was a
shame they didn't know how to sing properly. To her mind belting was just
bad...period. She would site a who's who of belters with nodes anytime you fell
out of head tone above an A (above middle C)

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17510 Re: classical and then beltingDiane M. Clark   Thu  2/14/2002

emusic.com