Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  4:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: classical and then belting

In a message dated 2/13/2002 11:37:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a... writes:

> my teen students who I’ve been teaching to belt as well as
> singing classically. The muscle coordination for breath support for the

Why would you teach them any differently? My students can sing classical or
pop or theatre, but they don't have to switch which "car" they're going to
drive for different styles. My idea is to teach a solid technqiue that
results in balanced phonation so that very little needs to be adjusted for
style..........also, if you are pulling your chest, or belting at b above
middle C, I'd watch out. A good clue of whether or not your are actually
mixing there or pulling chest is to see what happens at the d-e above
that......if they lose a lot of "ping" as you say.......you know that
something is out of balance. I've noticed that younger voices (pre-pubescent)
can pull chest there and get away with it, but the minute the larynx starts
to grow, they begin to have huge problems. It's much better to move into your
mix around A-B flat, so that the B is definitely into a mixed production.

Best!
Mary Beth Felker

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17503 Re: classical and then beltingLea Ann Martin   Thu  2/14/2002
17510 Re: classical and then beltingDiane M. Clark   Thu  2/14/2002
17511 Re: classical and then beltingLea Ann Martin   Thu  2/14/2002

emusic.com