Vocalist.org archive

From:  Vicki Bryant <MezzoNotte@e...>
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  5:42 am
Subject:  Re[2]: [vocalist] Pop-style Broadway

Oac> In a message dated 2/13/2002 4:49:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Oac> buzzcen@a... writes:

>> This does not mean she is belting. The problem with many legit
>> teachers is that they have a true prejudice against the female chest voice,
>> don't know how to handle it and seek to eliminate it from the student's
>> singing under the misguided guise that it is healthier.

Exactly - and some teachers also equate belting with yelling. It's not the
same thing!

An interesting side effect has occurred in my singing in the last week
which has bearing on this subject. After finally getting some
consistent "ping" in my upper passagio, I went to practice "Never Never
Land" from Peter Pan, and found to my surprise that I could finally
belt the whole thing comfortably. Prior to that, I always had to send
the final note (B natural above middle C) into a mix, and although it
sounded nice, it never sounded enough like Peter Pan's personality for
my taste...anyway, there's an instance where "legit" training works
for musical theater, but only because I know how to belt in the first
place.

However, I do not teach teenagers to belt - it's too easy to
misunderstand and misuse that technique. A good solid chest voice
with a smooth transition will work just as well for any young voice.

Vicki Bryant mailto:MezzoNotte@e...
Naperville, IL
http://home.earthlink.net/~mbryantsprint/music_business.htm

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17493 Re: classical and then beltingEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Thu  2/14/2002
17498 Re: classical and then beltingVicki Bryant   Thu  2/14/2002

emusic.com