Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  1:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Pop-style Broadway

In a message dated 02/13/2002 5:04:29 PM Central Standard Time,
buzzcen@a... writes:

<< I find this way of thinking off base. A purely legit technique will never
translate to the aesthetic demands of the modern stuff. If she's interested
in having the modern sound she needs to train towards that with a solid
connection out of chest and the ability to mix much higher in the voice.
Training only on legit stuff with that sort of production will exclude her
from doing what she may really want to do. >>

I didn't say ONLY legit stuff, Randy.... I said if she is balking at doing
legit stuff because it's not modern enough, I think she's limiting herself.
Besides, didn't the original poster say she was only 13???? What does she
know yet about what she likes? She needs to be exposed to a lot of different
stuff, and the book I recommended has the "pop" kind of Bway stuff as well in
terms of music from LES MIZ, SECRET GARDEN and the like.

To use my food analogy, limiting her to only legit music would be like making
her eat vegetables all the time. I think she should start with legit and
have a little taste of the other... she's too young to make these decisions
herself.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com