Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  12:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Pop-style Broadway

In a message dated 2/13/2002 6:10:51 PM Central Standard Time,
farmer@a... writes:

> So, what is the *right* kind of legit teacher? How do I identify one?

I found your voice very compelling. I deal with kids all the time who have
come out of legit studios but want to sing Broadway. They have so little
chest voice in their production that a radical realignment of the registers
is needed before they can even begin to have a chance.

Your daughter has to be able to come out of an extended chest register to
compete. This does not mean she is belting. The problem with many legit
teachers is that they have a true prejudice against the female chest voice,
don't know how to handle it and seek to eliminate it from the student's
singing under the misguided guise that it is healthier. There is no data to
support such claims.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com