Vocalist.org archive

From:  Julia Farmer <farmer@a...>
Date:  Thu Feb 14, 2002  12:09 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Pop-style Broadway

ODivaTina@a... wrote:
> I also think it depends on what kind of "legit" teacher you've got
> your hands on. If you have the right one, the training they give you will
> transfer to all types of singing.

So, what is the *right* kind of legit teacher? How do I identify one?

Forgive me, I haven't introduced myself. I'm the mother of another 12
year old (not the one in the original post), who joined this list just
to get answers to questions like these.

My twelve year old daughter also has a passion for Broadway, and began
lessons two years ago with the idea of training that kind of voice.
There are no musical theater voice teachers in our small university
town, so we chose a legit teacher, and together they have developed my
daughter's upper register to a remarkable extent. This particular
teacher, however, doesn't feel that a pre-teen should be belting for any
reason whatsoever, and because of that they've stuck to classical pieces
for the most part, with a brief excursion into Sweeney Todd.

My daughter absolutely loves this teacher, & is convinced they are
kindred spirits, and for my own part, I really appreciate how this
teacher has helped my daughter develop a soprano to add to her natural
mezzo voice....but I still worry whether she is getting the right
training!

How can I tell?

Julia
farmer@a...