Vocalist.org archive

From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Wed Feb 13, 2002  11:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocalises with Words

Quoting Anne-Louise Klaus

> Every so often I have a student who would, I think, be
> happier with the warm-ups if more of the exercises had
> words. Any suggestions?

Anne-Louise:
One of my 12-year old students and I accidentally
invented the following exercise (would you like a
banana). Spanning a downward glide of a perfect fifth:
(all spoken on the same starting note) "would you like
a ba-na (then, gliding on the a and landing on the fifth
lower and finishing the final syllable)-na I have
him spit it out clearly, rapid-fire a la Gilbert and
Sullivan, pronouncing banana with British-style [a].
(The exercise progresses successively by half-step.) He
not only finds it fun, but useful! Only problem--too
much giggling can, as he discovered, "gunk up the
voice!"
for what it's worth: I once had a choral conductor in
college who used the following warm-up exercise on a
1-3-5-8-5-3-1 scheme, with the words (don't cringe):
"how shall I hit him today." For a bunch of
college juniors, we all found it amusing. For a teen or
pre-teen, I'd find a more peaceful text! Improvise.
Good luck.
--Erica

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17565 Re: Vocalises with WordsDolphin aura   Sat  2/16/2002
17571 Re: Vocalises with WordsJohn Link   Sat  2/16/2002

emusic.com