Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jennifer" <jennibri@i...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  2:46 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Audition experience

> << How do you deal with the problem of your
> accompanist blowing it right in the middle of a piece? >>

Ignore them and keep going. That way, you look like you know what you're
doing. If you let it throw you, or if you stop, then you'll be the one who
looks uncertain. One time I was singing in church and the pianist and I had
decided to cut out a few bars between verses (the piano part was really
boring). Unfortunately, there seemed to be some sort of miscommunication
over where exactly the cut was supposed to end and I came in when the
pianist wasn't expecting it (I have no idea which of us was actually to
blame, although it was probably me). He stopped playing completely for a
couple of phrases until he could find me again. I just kept going (a
capella - am I ever glad I have a good sense of pitch under pressure!) and
got many positive comments afterwards. Apparently everybody assumed it was
his mistake! The moral of the story - the pianist is supposed to follow the
singer, so go for it and remember that they're the ones with the music, so
if they lose you, it's their job to find you, not the other way around.

Jennifer

emusic.com