Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Feb 12, 2002  6:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] 20th Century Songs

Elly:

I've sung "Sure on this shining night" myself. This advice works with many
of Barber's songs: Don't try to "feel the beat" as shown in the time
signatures; you'll just make yourself crazy. Instead, work on keeping a
steady count of *eighth* notes. The piano part on this particular song is
mostly series of eighth notes, so I think you'll find that counting eighths
will help it fall right into place.

Keep working on it. The song really grows on you.

(I may go and thrash with "Nuovoletta" again. The text is from "Finnegan's
Wake," and Barber managed to make his music just as impenetrable as James
Joyce's words.)

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx