Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  9:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Having a problem memorizing lyrics.

J gargano wrote:
<< I have a problem remembering lyrics to a piece I have heard a million
times.It could be that im focusing on the melody, piano, rhythm and looking at
the sheet music but not studying the lyrics.
I need to know what methods work best for most of you when remembering the
lyrics.>>

I find that it's best to memorize the words apart from the music, as if it were
a poem or lines of dialogue in a play. Then practice saying the words with
appropriate expression.

Learn the music separately, on a vowel, until you have the notes and rhythms
perfect.

Then memorize the words in the correct rhythm, until you're able to say them
aloud (without the music).

Then put it all together. I think you'll find that when you memorize the text
separately from the music, your memory for the text will be stronger - probably
using a different part of your brain or something. Generally, I find that the
more senses I can use in memorizing something, the better it is. So one can say
the text out loud, read it silently, write it out, put it on a tape recorder and
listen to it.

Peggy

emusic.com