Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  7:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] OT (a bit) - travelling around the US (Illinois, Michigan and NYC)

>From: Fiona Chow <fionat@i...>
>I'm looking mostly for a cheap, yet direct (I hate travelling and find
>it>frazzling) method of transportation (bus, train, etc.) and driving is
>not an>option:
>
>From Chicago to NYC (so far, the greyhound looks cheap, but what are
>trains>like? I've never taken one!)?

It's been some years since I took Amtrak through that particular part of the
USA, but it can be comfortable and entertaining. Go for an "Economy
Slumbercoach" if you can afford it (a miracle of engineering), but an
ordinary coach seat will be at least as comfortable as Greyhound. If you
get a train with a REAL dining car (as opposed to a "cafe car"), you'll be
able to eat pretty well for not too much $. (Go for the French toast for
breakfast!)

Might as well take advantage of Amtrak's long-distance service as long as we
still have it. Did I mention the fantastic amount of leg room?

>From Ann Arbor to Chicago?

I believe Amtrak does do Chicago-Detroit service, but I'll check with my
family in that area for more solid information.

>Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Fiona

Glad to do it. Trains rule! Planes drool!

Elizabeth Finkler
(Granddaughter of Charles Frederick Neu, who predicted that the merger
between the Pennsylvania Railroad and New York Central would never work,
because the two railway giants had incompatible signal systems.)

mightymezzo@h...