Vocalist.org archive

From:  "edgewoodvoicestudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  5:48 pm
Subject:  I'm Back! And College/Repertoire Info for my Daughter

Hi Everyone!
I'm so excited! I finally figured out how to be back on the
Vocalist group. I think I've been gone for a couple years. My name
is Deanna and I have a little voice instruction studio out here in
Washington State near Puyallup. My star student is my own 17 year
old daughter who just this past Saturday won a chance to compete on
the state level at her district solo & ensemble competition. (there
were 44 Sop. II's competing!) She won in the soprano II (mezzo)
category for solo and also in the small ensemble category for a duet
she sang with one of my soprano students (who made an alternate spot
in the soprano category).

I am bit over enthusiastic as far as repertoire choices for my
daughter. I'm wanting to do things a little more correctly and am
wondering if anyone has suggestions, as I need focus her study on a
proper repertoire list for college auditions this coming Fall when
she'll be a senior in high school. She sang "Batti Batti" for
contest this year and she sings it beautifully, without tension, and
also very musically. She has a definate light mezzo timbre with an
uncanny ability for coloratura.. it's very easy for her. The judge
was very stern with her (I was in the room) saying that the aria was
not something she should be studying for another 5 years and the
judge said she didn't think Nora could sing it again (at that
moment) But because Nora does not sing with neck/glottis tension,
she responded politely that she could, indeed sing it again.. which
she had to do in the "sing offs" 2 hours later. She sang even
better the 2nd time.

I have taught her some of the 24 Italian Songs & Arias and a
Schubert art song. She sang the role of "Anita" in the high school
production of West Side Story..in November. which she belted over a
20 piece orchestra without vocal tension. I need to choose a 2nd
song for her to sing along with Batti Batti and the state contest at
the end of April. I've been considering some Rossini art song.
Does anyone have suggestions? The duet that Nora sang with my
soprano student (who is a high school senior) was "La guarda
sorella" from Cosi fan Tutte. I need to teach them a 2nd duet also
for state, I'm thinking of Purcell. What do you folks think?
Deanna
PS Nora would really love to attend the highschool vocal workshop at
Oberlin college this summer. Does anyone have
comments/recommendations about this program?

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17375 Re: I'm Back! And College/Repertoire Info for my peggyh@i...   Mon  2/11/2002
17377 Re: I'm Back! And College/Repertoire Info for my Fiona Chow   Mon  2/11/2002
17380 Re: /Repertoire Info for my Daughter Songs in EngEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Mon  2/11/2002
17412 Re[2]: [vocalist] /Repertoire Info for my DaughteVicki Bryant   Tue  2/12/2002
17426 Re: Re[2]: [vocalist] /Repertoire Info for my DauImthurn Melinda   Tue  2/12/2002
17389 How Do I Love Thee??? Who set this?EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Mon  2/11/2002
17406 Re: How Do I Love Thee??? Who set this?iamlight2001   Tue  2/12/2002
17411 Re: How Do I Love Thee??? Who set this?EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Tue  2/12/2002
17383 Re: I'm Back! And College/Repertoire Info for my Karen Mercedes   Mon  2/11/2002

emusic.com