Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: Breathing

this is it (i think). when we make everyday sounds, we don't think
of exhaling consciously, we think 'make sound'. the act of making sound
uses air. i'm guessing by consciously exhaling, you are causing yourself to
use too much air and, as the vocal folds are partly responsible for holding
one's breath, as you think 'exhale', you are telling the folds to open which,
is the opposite of adduction.

But the bearthing problem of exhaling to quickly and losing so much air
was not concious, hence the problem. Much of the exhalation was gone in the
first 5 seconds..leaving very little or nothing for the rest of teh phrase or
not....has I been concious of what I was doing I would have been able to more
evenly distribute that breath as I exhaled.

When you talk about surfing the wave of breath...that sounds to me like singers
who exhale evenly and that is what you would want to happen. I think that this
is a problem area, many people with breathing problems aren't surfing a
wave...they are wiping out before they ever get on the board (heh heh heh)

Lea Ann

emusic.com