Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  4:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: Breathing

In a message dated 2/11/2002 11:23:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

> ...the goal is to take a full low breath..and exhale that breath evenly.
> The evenness of exhalation will allow one to carry a long phrase or note.

lea ann,

this is it (i think). when we make everyday sounds, we don't think
of exhaling consciously, we think 'make sound'. the act of making sound
uses air. i'm guessing by consciously exhaling, you are causing yourself to
use too much air and, as the vocal folds are partly responsible for holding
one's breath, as you think 'exhale', you are telling the folds to open which,
is the opposite of adduction.

part of the 'appoggio' concept is to resist exhalation with the
muscles of inhalation. you'll see many older singers (particularly in
hines' 'great singers on great singing') talking about 'drinking in the
sound' which, i think, almost suggests trying to think of inhaling while one
sings. they will also talk about 'sul fiato' or, 'on the breath' as opposed
to 'col fiato' or, 'with the breath'. 'sul fiato' describes the sensation
of feeling as if the voice is sitting on a cushion of air while 'col fiato'
describes the sensation of the sound 'surfing the air on its way out'. of
course, these sayings describe perception rather than fact.

mike

emusic.com