Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  4:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: Breathing

In a message dated 2/11/2002 10:49:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

> I find that speaking uses a LOT less air than singing. I did your
> exercise...in your words I am in trouble..what could that mean?

well lea ann,

it could mean a number of things. most likely, you are not adducting
your vocal folds properly. if you aren't, you would be leaking air and that
would explain why you need so much air. why you are not adducting properly
is harder to say. it could be anything, from a misconception of how sound
is created to just a reaction to taking in too much air.

another experiment you could try is to repeat the previous experiment
only this time, compare speaking a vowel (like 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah') to
singing the same vowel or, you could compare singing a vowel to moaning (yes,
moaning) a vowel for the same length of time. it is likely that your folds
will be better adducted for these other two actions than they are for singing
and, you will find less air escaping for them than singing. of course, you
may find the quality of speaking a vowel or moaning to be unsatisfactory and,
for the most part, they are. but, it might amaze you to see how much of a
difference simply assigning a specific pitch to these two actions does to
improve their quality (it doesn't end there but, what's left to do is not as
big of a deal as one might assume).

mike

emusic.com