Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  2:42 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] An Introduction, A Hello, And Some Questions.......

mike wrote:

>the method we use to breath, when speaking, takes advantage of the
>laws of physics. nature abhors a vacuum. when you use air, you create a
>vacuum in your lungs. when you stop expelling the air, the vacuum will
>inhale for you if, you get out of its way. this will be done more quickly
>than any mechanical approach to 'drawing in the air' as most of those efforts
>actually slow down the inhalation.

I don't think this description is quite accurate. I believe that
there is no vacuum created when using air (exhaling). Instead the
vacuum is created as the cavity surrounding the lungs increases its
volume. That process of expansion can be done intentionally (which I
think corresponds to what you describe as a "mechanical approach to
'drawing in the air'") or reflexively. To feel what a reflexive
inhalation is like, count quickly many times from one to ten (in a
single exhalation) for the extent that you can do so easily. Then,
don't intend to inhale, but observe your inhalation as it happens.
That's the reflexive breath: unintentional and better organized than
you can do with intention. It is allowed rather than taken.

Breathe easy,
John link

http:/www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs: