Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Vivian" <vivianh@i...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  12:28 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Audition experience

FIONA WROTE:
>Sometimes, it's rather anticlimatical to continuously be showing off one's
upper range (this is just what I think - please, >no flames!!) - I always
prefer to leave that maybe for one or two select spots in the aria, perhaps
at the end.
>My point was more that for me, personally, if I have it all planned to sing
a set number of cadenzas/high notes, and if I
>leave some out (even if it is a rehearsed back-up plan - which I think is a
good idea) then I sort of feel like I cheated
>myself! END

That's interesting. Actually I find, at least in concert, that if I leave
something out that I had planned, then I feel sort of 'off balance' for the
rest of the piece.

Sort of in the same vein: How do you deal with the problem of your
accompanist blowing it right in the middle of a piece? I believe I handle it
professionally on stage and often it's not too noticeable. It's still very
upsetting. I don't blame the pianist, it happens to all of us. But, as this
has happened to me a number of times. I'm getting a little gun shy as a
result. How do the rest of you deal with this?

Looking forward to your comments,
Vivian

(Vancouver Island, BC) Part time mezzo getting back into singing.

emusic.com