Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Fri Feb 8, 2002  8:42 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] what to wear for auditions?

My favorite audition dress is VERY simple and not too
formal - it probably wouldn't do for a formal dinner
party, but is nicer than the type of dress one would
wear to church. I have had adjudicators stop me in
the hall and tell me what a great audition dress it
is! It is nothing unusual and has no beads,
embroidery, etc. It won't distract from my face,
which is where I want the attention.

The important things are:
1) The style is one that flatters my figure.
2) The color is one that complements my coloring.
3) It is in a vibrant color that will be easily
remembered by my adjudicators.

A few things to keep in mind when looking for your
perfect audition dress.

Also, I would stay away from anything that has a lot
of interest in the skirt area. I had a gorgeous black
dress with a red flower coming up the lower left half
of the skirt-very striking, but terrible for
auditioning or performing because everyone's attention
was on the lower half of my body!

Also, I think longer dresses look better on stage. So
do solid colors as opposed to any kind of pattern.

I would tend to stay away from black because it is
what everyone else wears - you want them to be able to
say, "Oh, the girl in the ____ dress." Not that this
will determine whether or not you get what you are
auditioning for, but the goal IS to be remembered.
And finally, make sure it is something you FEEL great
in!

Melinda