Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Ruiz" <laura@d...>
Date:  Fri Feb 8, 2002  6:52 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] what to wear for auditions?

Hi all,
Personally, I like to look well-groomed (duh), but slightly different
from everyone else they'll be hearing and seeing that day. I generally
wear a light lilac short-sleeved turtle neck with a black wool skirt
that's embroidered with beautiful pastel flowers in a wool yarn along
with a few beads here and there to set things off. The skirt's also got
a bit of a frayed edge at the bottom. Now comes the part that I've
gotten different opinions on (never from judges or anything, but from
classes): I personally like to wear black moderate-height sandles,
making sure that my toes are nicely manicured and such. Of course, I
live in LA so sandals are more acceptable year-round than in other parts
of the country. There's one school of thought that says that your feet
should look the best of everything you have showing because if you're
auditioning on a stage and the judges are fairly close to that stage
they're not going to want to be staring at your old, beat up shoes.
There's another school that says to *never* wear sandles. I think it
may be because not everyone will make sure they're feet are
well-manicured, or maybe there's a stigmatism about sandles being too
casual. And of course, the safe way would be to simply wear nice
looking, plain pumps. I've gone both ways with the shoes (sandals or
pumps), but it's usually been dictated to me by the weather at the time.
Frankly I've never noticed the judges even looking at my feet, so I
doubt it's as big a deal as people like to make it out to be.

Now, from the other side of things, as an auditioner, I didn't generally
find what people were wearing to be a factor in whether or not I was
considering them for a role. That is, unless what they were wearing was
really distracting. I did notice during the day everything from
practically formal wear from some people, to downright casual wear in
jeans and a leather jacket. Interestingly, it was generally the men who
were more casually dressed. The only thing I really remember as
standing out was that several of the men happened to wear shirts that
perfectly blended in color with the curtain they were standing in front
of. But that was just a matter of coincidence. Nothing to be done
there.

So, in conclusion (because I know this has been way too long): As long
as you look clean, well-groomed, and nice I don't think that what you
wear is really as big a deal as we're often led to believe. What
matters the most is showing that you know your music thoroughly, that
you know what you're singing about and that you'd be the best person for
the role you're auditioning for.

Laura

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17307 Re: what to wear for auditions?Isabelle Bracamonte   Fri  2/8/2002
17308 Re: what to wear for auditions?Imthurn Melinda   Fri  2/8/2002

emusic.com