Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Feb 8, 2002  4:46 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] what to wear for auditions?

I just had the most wonderful elegant black dress made for auditions and
less formal concerts. It's in a fine lightweight black crepe, and is
quite plain, so that it is possible to dress it up quite a bit, or to
dress it down. My own preference is for mid-to-lower calf-length skirts
("ballerina length"), but that's mainly because I managed to inherit my
mother's thick ankles and knees, and thus am not all that excited about
showing off my legs.

In any case - this to suggest that the "little black dress" remains one of
the most elegant, versatile items for any singer's wardrobe. Jewel
neckline allows you to wear pearls, other jewellery, a scarf, a fur collar
- whatever strikes you as being appropriate for the event. Something with
a waistline that you can belt or sash, if you care to, or that doesn't
need either, if you want to go without. I had my dress made with long
sleeves, so I can use it year-round (it's that fine a crepe that it could
be worn in summer).

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17344 Good first roles for budding soubrettesKaren Mercedes   Mon  2/11/2002

emusic.com