Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Thu Feb 7, 2002  11:33 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Bitter sweet!

I tend to agree that a lot
of these "lookism" excuses are really just cover-ups for the fact that
the
director has a pet singer he's already cast in the role. Why the heck
can't casting directors be considerate enough to just inform us all if
some of the roles have been precast - it would keep from having everyone
waste their times auditioning for slots that don't exist.

That reminds me of the time I wasn't cast as Golda in "Fiddler" because
I was too young, then was immediately asked if I would do the role of
Grandma Zeitel! I simply replied that I didn't see how I could do that
one since I was "too young". Honestly, I would have appreciated a
straighter answer: "You just weren't right for the part, or "the other
actress was more what they director was looking for", anything that
would have been more plausible!

Sharon Szymanski

emusic.com