Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Feb 6, 2002  1:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Weighty Issue??

Elly wrote:

<<I recently had a conversation my my voice teacher about weight. He
definitely thinks it will be to my advantage to lose weight. If I am
to be mature about this I would agree.
What I want to know is this, what are your opinions about extra weight
on an Opera singer? >>

As an audience member, it doesn't make much difference to me. I have been very
happy being in the audience for plus-size singers such as Alessandra Marc,
Deborah Voigt, and Jane Eaglan.

That said, there are plenty of audience members who feel otherwise. If you're up
to reading unvarnished opinions of opera fans, many of whom are not writing to
spare anyone's feelings. do a search of the Opera-L archives on "weight" and the
name of a singer you're interested in knowing their reaction to. The URL is:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/opera-l.html

And fitness (whatever the poundage is) is important for an opera career. So if
you focus on a physical fitness program that doesn't necessarily have weight
loss as a goal (though it could result), you will benefit in any opera career,
and in your life. Not that I'm one to talk in that regard, mind you. But my
"baby" sister is quite the fitness fanatic. She tended toward extra pounds when
younger, and after she had kids, she started with the health club, and ended up
teaching exercise classes there and elsewhere.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com