Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Tue Feb 5, 2002  11:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Amount of air used in singing

Lea Ann wrote:

>I can concentrate on getting the maximum amount of air inside so
>that I may sustain a long phrase in a forte.

I think it is a mistake to "concentrate on getting the maximum of air
inside". In fact I think it is a mistake to think in terms of taking
a breath at all. Instead I suggest that you experiment with counting
or humming as long as you can do so EASILY and then just observe your
inhalation as you ALLOW it to happen. I think you'll discover that
there is NO need to intentionally take a breath.

For a more elaborate description of a lesson to help you improve your
breathing, see
16077.

Be well,
John Link