Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Tue Feb 5, 2002  9:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Amount of air used in singing

I am curious about what people mean when they say "de-emphasize breath" or use
the same breath to sustain a phrase in singing you would when you speak. How
could you sustain a phrase at maximum volume with such a shallow breath?

My own breathing problems did not arise because I was too caught up on
breathing or nervous about breathing....they arose because I could not make it
to the end of a phrase on the amount of air I was taking in. To my mind that
would be me not thinking about breathing.

That's why I do they exercises: breath in on 5 beats exhale on 20 beats etc.
So that I can concentrate ongetting the maximum amount of air inside so that I
may sustain a long phrase in a forte.

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17241 Re: Amount of air used in singingDavid Grogan   Tue  2/5/2002
17242 Re: Amount of air used in singingJohn Link   Tue  2/5/2002

emusic.com