Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 5, 2002  1:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Heavy Mechanism, Light Mechanism (was: menopause)

In a message dated 2/4/2002 5:21:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Your experiences in discovering your heavy mechanism and working from
> that perspective into the top of your voice is not unheard of only
> less common. It is completely valid and almost all large voices have
> to deal with this phenomenon at some time or other. It represents
> the extreme need for voice teachers to be willing to adjust their
> understanding of the voice to the voices they teach. Your teacher,
> to her credit, appears to have been able to do this.

Dear Lloyd,
Thank you so much for your acknowledgement of this. It is so affirming to
hear it from another pedagogue (besides my own beloved teacher).

> A basic understanding of how the mechanics of phonation function will
> help explain and make sense of the process you are experiencing. I

I lost all of my undergrad pedagogy books in a house fire EXCEPT the Vennard
("Singing: The Mechanism and the Technic"), which I was lending to a student
of mine at the time. Do you have suggested passages in there that I could
access that would explain the larger voice/heavy mechanism relationship? Or
do you have any other suggested sources?
Thanks again for your comments and congratulations.
TinaO

emusic.com