Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
Date:  Sun Feb 3, 2002  8:05 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Teaching flexibility, was: horne vs. von stade

I might add to this the idea that for some students, it works best to take
them completely in the opposite direction from what they're used to. I had
a student once who was so analytical that he would tie himself in knots
working on the exact position of his tongue or trying to determine exactly
how much space there should be at the back of his throat. When I began to
work more with images with him, it freed him up considerably and he was able
to lose a lot of the tension in his singing. I personally think that a good
teacher should be prepared to use any tactic that works with a particular
student.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano