Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sat Feb 2, 2002  4:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] menopause

In a message dated 02/01/2002 10:33:33 PM Central Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

<< i have never heard von stade doing the 'reverse yodel' (and, i have
heard her singing fairly low stuff ) so, that would seem to indicate that
she
makes a transition to the heavier mechanism higher than those who do that
'slam thing' on the bottom. >>

I personally feel that von Stade often takes up chest too high - I've heard a
very chesty sound on F4 that hasn't sounded that pleasant to me. That said,
I LOVE FvS as an artist and a singer. I don't care if every note isn't
perfect. I could listen to her in concert or on CD for hours. When I listen
to Horne or Bartoli, I feel that they are very conscious of their phenomenal
techniques and are going to share EVERY BIT of them with you whether you want
to hear it all or not, often at the expense of the interpretation. I think
Horne has let that go as she's gotten older - I find her singing more
expressive now.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com