Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 1, 2002  4:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Off Topic: Pseudo Opera and What's Next?

In a message dated 1/31/2002 10:14:53 PM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> The difficulty I see with the discussion in this thread is that it
> represents more personal likes and dislikes and less facts and
> reality. That is OK as far as this discussion group is concerned.
> We have no restrictions against such discussions of pure likes and
> dislikes. But, and i think this is a key element, our personal likes
> and dislikes are, in the greater viewpoint, relatively unimportant if
> they cannot be backed up with some sort of objective evaluation.
>
> I would like very much for our Vocalist to return to the idea of
> ideas and be less concerned with idea of personal but poorly
> supported likes and dislikes.

The statement that opera is the fastest growing art form is objective but
still not very persuasive. Statistics can be very misleading. It reminds me
of that book, "Lies, Lies, and Statistics".

I guess you can call it objective, but is it truthful in a sense; I'm not
sure about that.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com