Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Ruiz" <laura@d...>
Date:  Thu Jan 31, 2002  8:24 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] menopause

Hi all,
Let me just add a word of caution re HRT (which I'm sure most of our
doctors on this list can either agree with or refute): In my research
into the reasons why I miscarried a couple of times, I discovered
something that most of us aren't told by our doctors. Either they don't
know about it, or they've been told that it's not true: It was hinted
at in the article, that HRT can make a woman more susceptible to certain
types of cancer. What the article does *not* state, nor do most other
articles on the subject, if you take *natural* progesterone (for which
no prescription is needed - and I'm not talking about the yam extract
stuff here) there are *no* side effects. If you use too much of it, the
most that can happen is that you'll get over tired as your body works
harder to discard the excess. But because the pharmaceutical companies
want to sell you and your doctors as much of any drug as they possibly
can, they've manufactured a synthetic version of many things that occur
and can be obtained naturally - one of these is progesterone. Another
bill of good many of us women are sold is that it's estrogen that we
need in order to combat the effects of menopause, when usually it's
progesterone we need instead. I don't have my reference books here with
my to give you exact info (I loaned them out to friends a couple of
years ago, never got them back, and now I can't remember who it was I
loaned them to in the first place). But if you're interested in reading
more about this sort of thing check out Dr. John Lee's books entitled
"Menopause: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Natural
Progesterone" and "Premenopause: What You Doctor..."etc. Even though I
wasn't anywhere near menopause when I read these books, I found them
extremely informative, educational, and useful. I highly recommend
them. At the very least, read them before you agree to any HRT. You
may decide HRTs not for you, or you may decide that it is indeed what
you want to try.

Here are links to those two books on Amazon.com:

Menopause:
Premenopause:

Laura

P.S. Once I had been using a natural progesterone cream for about a
year, I became pregnant and carried to term. I am absolutely convinced
that the progesterone made all the difference in the world. It also had
made my periods bearable instead of horrid, painful, bloated
times...always a good thing!

emusic.com