Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Jan 31, 2002  6:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need some quick help...

Laura wrote:
<< 2. "Steal Me Sweet Thief" from The Old Maid & The Thief
Again, I have the words, and I've seen the opera once, but don't feel
entirely comfortable with writing a brief synopsis of what's going on
here.>>

Laura, I'm not at home with my opera reference books on hand for the Traviata
info. However, I have performed in Old Maid and the Thief, so here's my
recollection.

Leticia sings the aria. She's the maid to Miss Todd. All the action of the
opera takes place in Ms. Todd's home. At the beginning of the opera Miss
Pinkerton comes for tea with Miss Todd, and shares all the local gossip,
including something about a Thief the police are looking for. There's also duet
about the lovers that left them when they were young, which is why they're both
old maids. While Pinkerton is still there, Leticia pulls Miss Todd aside and
tells here that there's a good-looking male stranger at the back door seeking
shelter. Miss Todd hustles out the gossipy Miss Pinkerton and Bob is bought
into the living room - a penniless traveler looking for shelter. Miss Todd and
Leticia are both attracted to Bob. They get him into dry clothes and a place to
sleep. They both think he's the thief, but he's not.

Bob is a personable guy and both Miss Todd and Leticia think Bob's in love with
them. Leticia's aria is sung while she's doing her chores (we had her ironing),
and she's hoping Bob will run off with her so she can have a better, more
exciting life than her current station of a made in a small town.

Bob keeps talking about leaving, so Miss Todd starts giving him money, thinking
he's the Thief and this will keep him around. When she runs out of her own
funds, she steals from some ladies' club she's the treasurer of. But Bob and
Leticia take the money and Miss Todd's silver and run off together, and when
Miss Todd learns of this, she has a great mad-scene aria, and the opera ends.

Peggy

emusic.com