Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Jan 30, 2002  9:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Handel arias?!

Fiona wrote:

<<However, sometimes I wonder which ones are the most "popular," because there
are so many - some standard Handel soprano opera rep that if I show up and sing
at an audition, the jurors might recognize it!
What about oratorio rep that is not Messiah?>>

I think "Endless Pleasure" from Semele (officially an oratorio, though staged
these days as an opera) is pretty well-known. It is even the title tune of one
of Ruth Ann Swensen's recital CDs.

I think it's great for an audition - it's in English, it's not too long, it has
a memorable tune, and the singer can have a lot of fun with it, both musically
nd interpretively (along with about everything else from Semele - to my mind,
Semele is Handel's most "fun" work).

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...