Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Wed Jan 30, 2002  7:15 am
Subject:  Re: CD/disc vs tape recorders in studios (was: i need recommendati...

> One thing that is a real drag right now is that they
> are not making cassette
> decks with external mikes anymore.

I went through this same thing a couple of months ago.
I spent the better part of a day going to store after
store looking for an affordable ghetto blaster (CD
plus cassette deck) with a mic in. I eventually found
a Curtis player with an "aux in" for $100 (all prices
in Canadian dollars). I then had to get an Optimus
Karaoke with voice canceller ($80 + $12 for an
adapter) since you can't stick a mic directly into an
aux in port.

This set up works fantastically. The karaoke thing
came with a mic, and for something that was relatively
inexpensive the sound quality is excellent. The
benefit to getting the karoake thing (anyone know the
technical term? it's not on the box) is that it can
also be hooked up to a computer (do you have a laptop
mike?) or presumably to a minidisc or other
technology. And as I said, the sound quality is great.

Speaking of recording directly onto a computer, how
about instead of burning CDs, which can be time
consuming, recording as MP3s and emailing them to your
students? They can then burn their own CDs, or
download them to a portable device or minidisc player
or whatever works best for them.

Jennifer

17088 Re: CD/disc vs tape recorders in studios (was: i Karen Mercedes   Wed  1/30/2002

emusic.com