Vocalist.org archive

From:  "deliamayit" <deliamay@h...>
Date:  Tue Jan 29, 2002  3:23 pm
Subject:  Re: Question for SLS teachers

Hello again - are there any SLS teachers out there ?
My message seems to have got ignored or lost between the
Bocelli\Church discussion and Maria Callas's tapeworm, so i'd just
like to ask again for some advice on the Singing for the Stars book.
In the meantime i have actually managed to get to grips (more or less
with the tongue trill (exercise 2) and reading more closely I realise
that i really should not be trying to move too fast through the
programme, but my burning question is this: around how long should i
practice for each day, and how long should i stay on each exercise.
What might be a reasonable time to spend on the first part of the
book before getting to the real SLS stuff. Weeks, months,years ??
Thanks again
Delia

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "deliamayit" <deliamay@h...> wrote:
> Hello. First of all i'd like to say thankyou to everyone for
> providing me with all the wonderful information on all aspects of
> singing. I love this list. I've been lurking and occasionally
posting
> for about a year - i would post more but last time i tried it took
> about a week to get through and therefore lost urgency - maybe it's
> improved by now.
>
> Anyway, I just bought the Seth Riggs book and CDs and would like
some
> advice on how long you should do each exercise before moving on to
> the next. Also how long should i practice each day.
> (Presumably i don't have to reach the G 2 and a half octaves above
> middle C before moving on to exercise 2). At the moment i'm doing
> exercises 1- 6 for about half an hour but i wouldn't say i was
doing
> them perfectly !
> I had been taking lessons for about 5 years (at the moment i'm
taking
> a break to try on my own) I'm pretty sure i'm a soprano and have
only
> a light voice with little vibrato but still have a lot of problems
> with high notes and can't take the exercise 1. lip bubbling beyond
> flat (with usual arpeggi i can go to D on a very good day). Also i
> can only do it (the bubble)if a push my cheeks in as well as up. Is
> it OK to do
> this ?
> With exercise 2 - the tongue trill, i have a lot of difficulty and
> would appreciate some idea about where exactly to put the tongue. I
> find I need to use an awful lot of air to get anywhere, and cannot
> sustain the trill for long - i keep breaking out of it. Do I have
> lift the cheeks for this one also ?
> As well as the practicing, i sing in small groups and choirs 3-4
> times a week. I think tension is my biggest problem as by the end
of
> practices i'm often singing in a pretty terrible strained way and
> lose the top and bottom ends. Even when i don't feel as if i've
> strained, i lose the bottom notes (ie middle C (even D sometimes)
and
> below, those joined to head register i mean, and i have to go into
> chest to get the sound out, whereas in the morning i can keep a
good
> sound in 'head' down to A below middle C. Sorry if i'm going on a
bit.

> Best wishes to all
> Delia

emusic.com