Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 29, 2002  2:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] WHAT'S NEXT?

In a message dated 1/28/2002 8:07:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
caiorossi@t... writes:

> It makes sense, in terms of the emotional reactions it may cause, but, as I
> said, I wouldn't consider that valid because it does not reflect all the
> art
> involved in opera ( I think I don't have to say what ).

so, you're looking for something that is a little more literal as a
decendent (as modern dance is to ballet)? i don't think there is one. i
don't think musical theater ever attempted to. as it has been around (in
some form or, other) since at least the 18th century, i think it is a
seperate entity (musical theater as opposed to theatrical music).

i think the 'recession' that opera experienced during the 20th century
is largely due to the type of writing that was being done, from schoenberg
on. because of the strong leaning towards atonality and the reluctance of
singers to take it on, compared to instrumentalists, opera did not continue
to develope in the way instrumental music did.

it also could be, with the exception of those invested in opera
specifically, that film took up the audience that would have otherwise found
opera appealing (this is not to say that everyone who loves film would have
been an opera lover if film did not exist).

mike

emusic.com