Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Tue Jan 29, 2002  1:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] In need of advice! Please! :)

Elly:
Welcome to the list! I hope that we can offer you some encouragement &/or
advice.

Pat

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:43:31 -0000 "elly28_03" <bellavocemia@h...>
writes:
(snip)
> I just do not have a huge list of accomplisments.
>
> I have been singing for seven years and am often invited to sing as
> soloist in various church choirs. I am involved in a community
> based
> choir and I am in my 5th musical production. I also sing at
> weddings
> and retirement homes.

Sounds to me like you have lots of experience for not yet having entered
the professional realm. The musical productions are great for your resume
& if the solos that you've sung in churches are part of a larger work, by
all means, include them as well. All of this experience will prepare you
for professional jobs later on.

(snip)

> Most people claim to have
> studied under several music teachers while I have only had 2. I am
> often asked if I am a professional singer and why I am not when I
> tell
> the truth.

How many teachers you have had shouldn't concern others. The important
thing is whether you are making progress or not. In regards to being a
"pro", that takes lots of time & effort. Those of us with non-musical day
jobs often cannot devote the time or energy that it takes. Many people
who do not perform do not understand that.

(snip)
> People snicker at me when they do not know my techers
> name.
> Isn't it enough that I have faith in him and he has faith in me?

In addition to myself, I have many friends that study voice &, frankly,
they are not well known names. The thing that is important to each one of
us, again, is that we are making progress. Even within the university
setting you will find "unknowns". Most teachers with a "name" either are
singers of some note themselves or have had a student with a "career".