Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Jan 29, 2002  12:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] In need of advice! Please! :)

elly28_03 wrote:

> I am currently planning my audition for the University of Toronto vocal
> performance program. I will be auditioning for the year 2003. I have
> spoken to people who have had much more experience than me and now I
> am rather discouraged. You see, they bombard me with facts about
> themselves and accomplisments I have not yet accumulated.

I am 27 and I approach my singing very maturely but I
> worry that I might not be good enough. Most people claim to have
> studied under several music teachers while I have only had 2.

> Are these people just being uppity or do I seriously need to be super
> woman? I am passionately devoted and cant stop learning. Isn't this
> enough? People snicker at me when they do not know my techers name.

You need some new "people". The kind that don't build
themselves up by snickering at people, or bombarding you
with "facts"!

I'm no expert on college admissions. But I know plenty of
singers older than you who have successfully studied at the
college level. My voice teacher, who teaches both sub-21
and over-40 voice students at 2 different community colleges
much prefers working with her more mature students!

My impression is that colleges want students who will
benefit from their program. Not many voice programs insist
that students it accepts be sure things to become
international opera stars! So if you sing well and have
good musical skills, I don't see why you shouldn't have a
good shot at getting in.

But don't believe me. Why not make an appointment to talk
with the Chairman or someone in the Voice Department about
what they expect of their applicants, so you'll know
first-hand if you have a reasonable opportunity of being
accepted, or what you need to be working on between now and
when you apply?

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...