Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jan 28, 2002  9:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Political correctness

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Erica Zweig wrote:

> I have a new baritone student who also has a verrrrry
> thick Latino accent when singing English, which made
> itself an "issue" of sorts at his recent vocal jury. He
> sang the theme from Camelot and it seemed to lend itself
> favorably to that character!

This surprises me - given the character singing that particular song is
King Arthur, who I should think would be able to get away with, perhaps, a
Welsh or Cornish accent, but would otherwise be cast with a generic
"BBC English" accent - but NEVER a Spanish accent. Lancelot, perhaps -
given he's supposed to sound like he's from out of town...France, not
Spain, but given he was played by an Italian in the movie, who's going to
quibble?

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17024 Re: Political correctnessErica Zweig   Mon  1/28/2002

emusic.com