Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Jan 28, 2002  8:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] specialized ears

In a message dated 01/28/2002 2:32:43 PM Central Standard Time,
richard@r... writes:

<< Classical music represents less than half of my CD collection. The two
acts represented the most in my 400-plus discs would be the Cocteau Twins
(coming in at 20 CDs) and Soundgarden (9). You can also find the following:
Pearl Jam, Ministry, Led Zeppelin, Miles Davis, Black Sabbath, Gary Numan,
Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, the Chieftains, Goodness, Hammerbox, Rush,
Joe Satriani, Dire Straits, The Police, Dave Matthews Band, Oingo Boingo,
Stevie Ray Vaughan, and so on. >>

Richard, you sound like a man after my own heart. While I have a lot of
classical vocal selections in my collection, most of them are for use in my
teaching or for my own performance research. For listening purposes, I
choose to listen to Chieftains, Cherish the Ladies, Led Zeppelin, Grateful
Dead, Little Feat, Joni Mitchell (speaking of transposing down -- listen to
"Morning Morgantown" and then something in the last 5 years - yikes!), Hootie
& the Blowfish, Bob Dylan, kd lang, Annie Lennox, and a lot of others. As
Andrea said, "something different than a super serious diva proving how great
she is by performing vocal gymnastics rather than really "singing" a song and
connecting with the audience."

In other words, I'm not listening to Celine Dion, Mariah Carey or Whitney
Houston; or other singers, classical or otherwise, who focus on
embellishment of the vocal line at the expense of the expression.

I just heard a really great male lead singer on NPR fronting a band called
Cousteau. What a nice voice that is! Anyone else know of him?

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com