Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Mon Jan 28, 2002  3:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercises

Judy wrote:

>Yes--but emotions aren't rational. Here's how it works. If you die, it's over
>and done with. And people will probably feel sorry for you, and miss you. But
>if you make an ass of yourself, you have to live with it, and you probably
>won't get much sympathy.

I would suggest that performers who make an ass of themselves on
stage don't get sympathy but they do get empathy. When we observe a
performance we get to feel what the performer feels (empathy). It is
as if we have done the triple-axle (figure skating) ourselves, even
if we can't skate at all. So when the skater falls on his ass we feel
as if we've fallen. It is tough to feel sorry for someone who makes
us feel that.

John Link

Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)