Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Jan 28, 2002  4:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercises

In a message dated 1/27/2002 10:41:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
drama_diva_au@y... writes:

> Anyone else got any breathing exercises/ideas they just couldn't sing
> without?

yes michelle,

unless i have to manage some unusually long phrase (and yes, i mean
singing in the classical fashion), 'normal' breathing is what i use. there
are several advantages to this. for one thing, as it is normal, i already
know how to do it and don't have to waste energy (mental and physical)
worrying about it.

i would describe normal breathing as the following: when we talk, we
begin talking on whatever air is in our lungs. as we talk, we use air,
creating a vacuum. when we stop talking and relax, we stop the process
that is creating that vacuum and, nature, by virtue of eliminating that
vacuum, inhales for us. i have found that this process is quicker than any
of the approaches that attempt to 'manually override' the process of
breathing in hopes of making it more efficient. i am not alone in my
thinking on this. carlo bergonzi, piero cappuccilli and daniel ferro (i
think) all believe in this type of breathing. jerome hines discussed the
approach, along with quite a few others, in his book 'the four voices of
man'.

one other benefit to this type of breathing; as it is the breathing of
everyday life, there is a calming effect when performing (or, at least, it
doesn't contribute to the general panic).

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16985 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesdrama_diva_au   Mon  1/28/2002
16988 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesSharon Szymanski   Mon  1/28/2002
17034 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesLee Morgan   Tue  1/29/2002

emusic.com