Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Jan 27, 2002  7:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Callas question

In a message dated 1/27/2002 2:32:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

> Ah well....most of us would rather have had
> Maria the way she was for not enough good vocal years than
> another one of the legion of vanilla artists for a 25-year
> career.

what's that line from 'knock on any door'? "live fast, die young,
leave a good lookin' corpse." it reminds me, of the two actors in that
movie, humphrey bogart and john derek. who would we rather watch? the
pretty john derek or, the homely humphrey bogart?
if i had to make a choice between pretty voice, nothing to say and
ugly voice, plenty to say, i'd take the latter any day. how awesome it is
when we can find someone with both (in opera, i'd nominate cesare siepi).

mike

emusic.com