Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Jan 27, 2002  6:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: specialized ears

I for one generally don't respect the "ears of the general
> public." Does anyone on this list? Does anyone *anywhere* except
> for the record companies who stand to profit?

The public may not know the difference between and good and
ineffective vocal technique (the microphone is to blame, I
think). But the public definitely knows a good *performer*
from a bad performer. Oh, occasionally, there are the
"one-hit wonders", who get lucky riding an ephemeral social
trend, artistic fad or fun gimmick (Remember The Macarena,
The Name Game, Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini, Purple People-Eater,
The Hokie-Pokie? We do if we're old enough, but I challenge
here anyone to come up with the performers' names without
looking them up!). But the public gets tired of those
pretty fast. The great popular artists last (Bob Dylan is
still touring! And Elton John/Billy Joel. Judy Garland and
Frank Sinatra still sell plenty of CDs.), and the others are
here and gone before the rest of us even notice. If record
companies (and their salaried employees) profit from the
one- or two-hit wonders, more power to them.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com