Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Jan 27, 2002  6:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Callas question

In a message dated 1/27/2002 1:16:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

> Me, I love her as an artist, but I've never cared for the
> sound of her voice. I suspect there's some technical
> deficiency that probably led to her too-early vocal
> problems. But even so, her style and phrasings were always
> to die for, no matter what her vocal troubles

what i wonder about callas is if her weight loss was attributable to
some eating disorder (bulimia, anorexia, etc.) and, if it were, if this
partially accounts for her supposed vocal decline (i wouldn't argue that her,
in her latter years was as healthy as in her younger days) and, if this has
served to fuel the notion that opera singers have to be overweight (something
i would argue).

despite the fact that i think it would be hard to argue against the
generally held opinion that her voice was healthier when she was younger,
there is something that i find appealing about the sound of her singing in
her later years, prefering her 'flutter' days to her 'pre-flutter' days.
(for you fellow fans of the sci/fi channel's 'invisible man', it's similar to
that scientist from china who had half her face burnt.)

mike

emusic.com