Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sun Jan 27, 2002  2:04 pm
Subject:  critical commentary/ breathing exercises

. I would bet money that it wouldn't
even occur to you to refer to her (or anyone else for that matter) in
that manner no matter how she looked, because like many of us, it
just never enters your thinking to be that small minded, petty or
nasty about other human beings.

Michelle, it's cowardly to verbally cut people down for their physical
attributes. That's what it boils down to. And lazy ignorant people always take
the low road. I would never refer anyone the way people have been here...because
I don't think nasty things about people generally until they open their mouths
and prove to me just how hateful they are. The cowardly and stupid think it
gives them more power when the can verbally attack and gang up on someone
else...and they always go for their victims most tender spot....as in how fat
you are, or how you wear glasses or you have a twitch or a limp or what not.
Just like a school bully would. If you reread the comments that were made and
insert other words, like black, or gay you can really get a feel for how ugly
this is. Because the intention wasn't to comment on singing...if it were there
would have been no discussion about the physical...and it's not even a matter of
stage appearance...it's really about someone who "ain't got" wanting something
someone else has, and being mad that they don't have it. If Mr Rossi wants to
appear center stage and sing completely naked while we critique every aspect of
his body with a laser pointer I would bet that at least a few of us would try
and help him get a career together...if we found him totally aesthetically
pleasing that is...because that's what he is really telling us.

And yes I agree...lets talk about singing for goodness sake. I have been
doing some wonderful breathing exercises lately....it's amazing what a new voice
teacher can tell you...I have never really had specific breath instruction
before....and it's really great. I have been breathing in on 5 beats and
breathing out on 10 beats...breathing in on 7 beats breathing out of 12 beats
etc....and trying to make my intake intervals shorter and shorter and my exhale
intervals longer and longer and very even. WOW what a difference it makes.
Afterall if you can't breath you can't really sing either....and imagining the
castrati who could go without breathing for over a minute and sing 250 notes on
one breath WOW

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16941 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesbuzzcen@a...   Sun  1/27/2002
16974 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesdrama_diva_au   Mon  1/28/2002
16977 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesJohn Link   Mon  1/28/2002
16979 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesGreypins@a...   Mon  1/28/2002
16985 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesdrama_diva_au   Mon  1/28/2002
16988 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesSharon Szymanski   Mon  1/28/2002
17034 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesLee Morgan   Tue  1/29/2002
16986 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesGreypins@a...   Mon  1/28/2002
16989 Re: critical commentary/ breathing exercisesJohn Link   Mon  1/28/2002

emusic.com