Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sat Jan 26, 2002  11:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] ornamentation

Baroque music is great to sing - particularly Handel. The slow, serene
arias are wonderful for working on pure vocal legato while the fast ones
have wonderful fioratura that gets your coloratura really working.

No reason why you can't start working on the arias without worrying about
ornamentation. Particularly in the da capo arias, one doesn't usually even
DO any ornaments until doing the da capo repeat. So you can certainly
master those arias without the ornamentation first (and this would
probably be a good way to approach them anyway).

Something my coach told me about ornamentation (we were working on "Cara
sposa" and "Iris, hence away" - both by Handel) is that it's important to
keep in mind that any ornaments you do must be brought on by the emotion
of the piece at the time. If you don't absolutely FEEL the ornament you're
doing, then don't do it. Don't just ornament for the sake of showing off.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com